Just A Thought

A collection of questions and comments made by community members during my stay in Gran Sous.

"What makes it that you can come visit us here, but I can't go visit your country?" Asked to me by a fifteen year old as he walked me around a neighboring community

"Haitians were forced to 'buy' the French language. It took time to learn French. We were made to believe Creole was 'without value.' If we wanted to have value we would have to learn French.
For us, the French language has come at a cost." A lesson from my good friend Esterno, who is still working in the field at 75 years old in a country where the average life expectancy is 53

"Kidnapping is something foreign to Haitians. Wh
ile, there have always been thugs causing problems for people in the city, they would rob and kill you, but never kidnap you. The first kidnapping in Haiti was that of Aristide. So I tell you, kidnapping was brought from abroad." An explanation of the increasing number of kidnappings associated with Haiti's capital of Port-au-Prince.